Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dinah Shore's Rice Pudding...

Simmer (covered) for ~7 minutes or until dry:

1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup dry rice

Add and simmer (covered) for 1 hour:

4 Cups Milk
4 TBSP Butter

Beat and add in slowly:

1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Whole Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Stir and continue cooking until thick. Place in individual containers or one large dish and refrigerate.

The recipe above is the one that was published in a local newspaper many, many,many moons ago. Below I will give you the nutritional information on this one and the one I made with the substitutes. My substitutes were using soy milk instead of whole milk, egg beaters instead real eggs, Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil and Splenda instead of sugar. The nutritional values are for 1/2 cup serving.

Original:
Calories 134.7
Total Fat 7.2
Saturated Fat 4.1
Poly. Fat 0.3
Mono. Fat 1.4
Cholesterol 64.6
Sodium 78.6
Potassium 17.7
Carbs 13.3
Fiber 0.0
Sugar 11.1
Protien 4.1

Mine:
Calories 50.2
Total Fat 1.8
Saturated Fat 0.5
Poly. Fat 0.2
Mono. Fat 0.6
Cholesterol 1.3
Sodium 85.8
Potassium 50.3
Carbs 5.7
Fiber 0.3
Sugar 2.0
Protien 3.4

1 comment:

MaryFran said...

ok, for some reason my work computer won't let me post on your regular site....go figure (they have blocked it for some reason....) Just wanted to say that i can't wait to try your rice pudding recipe. I've been wanting to try my hand at making rice pudding.

AND, have you ever tried Almond milk. My husband LOVES almond milk!